Mike Massy's two events at Stanford on March 11, 2014 were as fantastic as they were memorable--leaving the Stanford community and fans in awe of this Lebanese singer and his unparalleled talent. The events were made possible via a grant from the Stanford Arts Institute plus the Stanford Language Center, The Sohaib and Sara Abbasi Program in Islamic Studies, DLCL, Dept. of Music, The Mediterranean Studies Forum, Dept. of Comparative Literature, and The Arab Studies Table.
Dr. Ramzi Salti Welcomes Mike Massy + Photo Montage http://youtu.be/yLi1yHrqOzQ
The first event took place at noon and featured Mike Massy live at Campbell Recital Hall at the Braun Music Center. Accompanied by a grand piano, Mike sang a selection of his hits including 'Ya Zaman' and 'Khalasna Baa' while also premiering a new song from his upcoming album. Perhaps the highlight of this performance, however, was when Mike Massy invited members of the audience--mostly Stanford students of Arabic--to join him on stage in singing 'Ghayer Lawn Ouyounak.' That moment will remain engraved in everyone's memory as Mike played the piano, sang the main vocals and was accompanied by a dozen students on stage singing, in Arabic, along to the song whose lyrics they had learned in class. The event was very well attended and included dozens of Stanford students plus such esteemed faculty members as Professor Stephen Hinton (Music), Professor Anna Schultz (Music), Lecturers of the Arabic Program at Stanford, and many others. See pic below.
Playlist for Arabology Thurs 13 March 2014 4-6pm DJ: Ramzi S.
1. Mike Massy/ Ghayer Lawn Ouyounak (DJ Meg Remix)/ Ya Zaman/ Falak Productions
2. Mike Massy/ Ya Zaman/ Ya Zaman/ Falak Productions
3. Pre-Concert Interview with Mike Massy at Stanford/ Arabology/ KZSU
4. Mike Massy/ Ya 3achikat Al Ward/ Ya Zaman/ Falak Productions
5. Mike Massy/ Live Concert Snippets/ Arabology/ KZSU
6. Highlights from Mike Massy's Stanford Lecture about Middle Eastern Music (ft live vocal acrobatics)
7. Mike Massy/ Beirut/ Ya Zaman/ Falak Productions
8. Post-Concert Messsage by Mike Massy at Stanford University
9. Mike Massy/ Kamshat Wara2/ Ya Zaman/ Falak Productions
10. Omeima El Khalil/ Ouhibbouka Akthar/ Ya/ Forward Music
11. May Nasr/ Ouhibuka (Lyrics by Ghada Samman)/Single/ May Nasr
12. Houweida Ft Chiheb/ Janna/ Sawtuha: Nine Women From Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Syria/ Jakarta Records
13. Adam Norton/ A Prayer / Zozo (Soundtrack)/ Warner Brothers Records
14. Khaled Mouzanar/ Yammi/ Et maintenant on va ou (Soundtrack)/ naïve
15. Mashrou' Leila/ Inni Mneeh/ El Hal Romancy/ Mashrou' Leila
16. Youmna Saba/ Tehfe/ Ruptured Sessions/ Lebanese Underground
13. Rasha Rizk/ Elegie/ Sawtuha: Nine Women From Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Syria/ Jakarta Records
14. Maisa Daw + Raymond Haddad/ Ana Hurra Bi Hali/ Ghanni 3an Ta3rif/ Alqaws